Wednesday, January 6, 2010

January 6

So this morning at Spinning the instructor walked in just as I was talking about how no one showed up on Monday to instruct class. I'm sure I sounded like the biggest brat on the planet. It was the regular instructor (my favorite) a 40-something man named Grim who is about nine feet tall and one-hundred-five pounds soaking wet. He is very business-like and imposing. He spits out "Come on", "Faster", "30 more seconds", and "Almost there (which always means: we-are-not-even-close-to-being-there-but-move-your-ass-anyway)" as we're biking. He also is always wearing the biking outfits: Spandex. Pastel colors mixed with black. Bulges. Maybe because he takes the class so seriously, that's what I take the class seriously too...or maybe it's because he doesn't like me.

I'm pretty sure he's a fat-phobic. (You know, the people that raise their eyebrows and almost sneer- but they're trying their hardest not to be obvious- as they get closer to a fat person. I've met a fair few of these in my life. After I restrain myself from the urge to punch them in the head, I tell myself it's their own fear of being fat, not MY fat, that is hurting them. This helps me interact in a humane way with them). He usually avoids looking at me, which is kind of hard to do since I am usually directly across from him in the back of the room, and whenever he does all he spits out is "faster, faster" (I don't take it personally, but I am pretty sure it's meant to be). I think he used to be a former fatty- he's always tugging on his shirt, trying to get it away from his belly. A fat move. Or, his spandex dries to tight. Hard to tell. So I don't know whether to feel sorry for him or be angry.

Maybe he just not friendly.

And speaking of former fatties, the ones that used-to-be-fat-but-now-are-thin-and-all-they-ever-want-to-talk-about-is-what-they-eat-and-how-much-they-exercise-and-isn't-their-BMI-amazing-now-you-should-totally-stop-eating-anything-above-100-calories-should-we-split-a-salad-with-no-dressing, PLEASE SHUT UP! I mean that in the nicest way, but come on. If you used to be fat and now have gotten your weight under control YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO LOSE WEIGHT! Be empathetic. TALK ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT YOU CAN NOW SHOP IN THE JUNIORS SECTION. Fat people are constantly, CONSTANTLY, reminded that they are not good enough as they are by TV, romance, friends, music videos, family, and walking down the street. If you are fat you never, ever get to forget it for one second. So please, please- if you used to be fat restrain yourself from asking your friend/lover/sister/brother/parent/daughter/son any of the following:

1. How's the diet going?
2. How much weight have you lost?
3. Are you gaining weight or are you just bloated?
4. Are you going to eat that?
5. Do you know how everyone judges you?
6. Do you only have one outfit?
7. Did you know that I lost weight by not eating? Maybe you should try it.

If we have something to share, we will. And start talking about something other than food, dieting and exercise. Like Battlestar Galactica or good books or the fact that we have an awesome president or give compliments.

Lastly, let me add. If you used to be heavy, which is pretty much everybody now-a-days, you don't get to disparage, hate-on, criticize, or laugh at fat people. When you do you sound like an ASS. I don't even care if you heart has been replaced by a carrot stick. Be nice- it's something that you learn in kindergarten but it still applies today.

Workout: 45 minutes spinning

Eating:
1 whole-wheat-high-fiber-bagel with natural PB(yuck) and banana
4 Clementine oranges
A pail of water
carrots and 2 tbsp of hummus with evoo
boca burger and snap peas
diet coke (I know, don't say anything)
1 apple
Stirfry with brown rice

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is "Hard Core!" I hope I have never fit into any of those catagories that you talk about. But I know at some point I probably have and it makes me sad. I only hope to continue growing as a person and make sure that is not how I lead my life. You will get used to the natural peanut butter. Mike eats it by the spoonful now at night as a "treat."

    Love ya! You're doing awesome and your motivation is infectous ;)

    ReplyDelete