Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Day 23- Old Man Winter vs. Rachael

The battle began this morning at 4am. The alarm went off and my eyes popped open. Like a child, my first thought was "IsSchoolClosedToday?IsSchoolClosedToday?IsSchoolClosedToday?" (One of the pleasures of being a teacher is having a snow day- for most of us it's exciting. For the math teachers it's chaos.) The thing is, now that I get up so early in the morning no one on the phone tree was going to call me for at least an hour to tell me whether we were having school or not.

I crept carefully towards my window, pulled back the curtain and gazed at the winter wonderland. Sigh. We were obviously going to have school today- call it a teacher's sixth sense. Glancing towards the clock I suddenly realized that if I hoped to make it to the gym on time, I was going to have to leave at least 15 minutes before I usually do. Piling on my winter clothes (picture the kid from the movie "Christmas Story" who can't walk in his snowsuit because it's too puffy- my level three winter clothes) it only took me 20 minutes maneuvering through 5 foot drifts of moving snow to get my car moderately clean. Drifting snow kept piling up on places that I had cleared off.

Driving onto the ramp to 694 I was stuck behind someone who is obviously spending their first winter in Minnesota. Semi's were whizzing past us at an astounding 45 miles per hour and I was at a crawling 10. The visibility and speed were ridiculous...I thought, this can't be safe. Good thing I live in Minnesota.

Long story longer, the instructor didn't even show up for Spinning. He lives in...wait for it, wait for it...Hudson. Do you know how far Hudson is from Woodbury? Like, 15 minutes. Do you know how far Brooklyn Park is from Woodbury? Like, five-hours-uphill-the-whole-way-barefoot-in-12-feet-of-snow. Okay...more like 45 minutes in regular condition's or if you are obeying the the speed limit.

So I led Spinning- all four of us. It was awesome. Are we hardcore? Yes. Yes we are.

Workout: Spinning 40 minutes

Food: The Usual

2 comments:

  1. I hope that you spun your brains out and are now a permantly damaged schooolteacher, who had a short but colorful career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't worry, I had to dig my car out of the middle of the street. You are hard core and you rock it. I had only 3 people in the club by 11am. You are wizzing through the 3-4th week hump. Keep it up ;) You have support whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete