Friday, November 20, 2009

Day 4- Rachael vs. the Date Bars

Rachael 0
Date Bars 1

When a well-meaning friend/coworker/parent/whoever offers you sweets-that-you-can't-have-in-the-house-without-eating-the-entire-package on Day 3 of your complete-life-makeover, don't take them. I mean, that would be common sense, right? Yesterday, a coworker (who, in her defense, does not know that I have decided to become Angelina Jolie's body double) thought she was doing a good deed by handing over seven leftover datebars for me to take home and enjoy. I tried to refuse them because I knew they were going to be my kryptonite. She then told me how well they freeze and then I can just help myself to one whenever I want a little treat. I mean, you can see where this is going- can't you? I wouldn't be fat if I could control how many sweets I allow myself to have. I have a hard time saying no, and the idea of having a little treat every once in a while seemed like no big deal...Just goes to show how how hard it is to teach a fat girl new tricks.

(Let me just say right here that I am changing my lifestyle, NOT dieting. I want to eat healthier and be more fit- like Angelina or Jessica Biel. I know that I will also occasionally eat pizza, cookies, and anything with cheese. I am not denying myself anything. I even had half of a date bar yesterday after lunch and savored all two bites. I am just trying to make better choices so I can live to see my 30th birthday.)

I got in the car. Like a fool I had the bars sitting right next to me in the passenger seat. I stopped at the first stoplight- and looked down at the bars. I covered them with a sheet of paper. I stopped at the second stop light- and turned on the radio. All I could think about was date bars-date bars-date bars...By the third stoplight the cover was off the Tupperware. I was tearing little pieces of one bar off- just the corners (I was rationalizing, of course). Then one bar was gone. I managed to put the cover back on until I got home.

I won't tell you how this sordid tale ends- but I will say I didn't eat all the bars. The lesson I learned is...sweets are my defeat. I just can't say no! So, I will have to keep them out of the house (and the car) and just enjoy them in a social setting where peer pressure and the idea that every-one-is-watching-what-the-fat-girl-is-eating will (maybe) keep me in check.

In other news, Wizard was a rockstar this morning. She went to "New Moon" last night at midnight and still managed to meet me at the gym at 5:30 (more like 5:45, but who is keeping track?). We hit the treadmill and then headed to open gym to shoot some baskets but were chased out by four large, sweaty behemoths. Poor Wizard almost got run down, but on reflection it could've been part of some prehistoric mating ritual.

Workout: Treadmill 45 minutes

Food:
12 oz coffee with 2 TBSP Hazelnut creamer (I refuse to give this up, it's my one pleasure)
High Fiber Oatmeal with 1 cup cherries
32 oz water
1 cup carrots with 2 TBSP hummus and EVOO
Salad with red lettuce, grilled chicken, yellow pepper, cucumber- no dressing/vinegar
32 oz water
1 medium apple with 2 TBSP PB (I will switch to natural/nut butter once the PB is gone)

Umm...I don't know what is going to happen tonight- "The Brute" and I are going to see New Moon...there will probably be some light beverages and a meal involved.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is seriously the first thing I read every morning. Don't worry, sweets are my defeat too! The trick I used to get things out when somehow they landed in the house is throw them away. I know if feels like wasting and you feel bad if they're homemade but just throw them away and it takes care of the temptation. Let me also tell you, as you know I have a problem with chips and dip. Sometimes I buy a bag for a craving, eat a handful and throw the rest away. Then I smack myself for wasting money. You well. You have to find what works for you. If I'm talking too much let me know.

    "Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."
    Michael Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi honey it's Andrea and Dad at work were trying to get into Mom's account

    ReplyDelete